Friday, December 3, 2010

A Definition of Self

Dr. Gbadegesin’s lecture was one of my favorite ones of the semester. The main focus of this lecture was a person’s character and how that defines who they are more than anything. He started by telling us of how the Egyptians formed many basic principles that we should live by. From Ma’at the Egyptians learned and practiced truth and justice while maintaining order, balance, and harmony. Through Ma’at the Egyptians lived virtuous lives. By following the principle of Ma’at a person builds good character. Character can be explained through Egyptian beliefs through the story of Iwa. By taking care of Iwa a person establishes their self as a person of good character. I agree with what the Egyptians had to say about character. A person’s character is the defining of who they truly are. I person with strong morals and a strong set of values will make good decisions and will be a person that can be trusted. A person that has no value or is inconsiderate of others will not be a person of strong character and overall not a good person to associate with. Character exists on two levels. They are based on responsibility to one’s self and responsibility to the community. Character is what people will remember you by after you die. What you establish as your character while you living will forever go on to be your legacy after you are no longer here. After hearing this lecture I thought hard about what my legacy will be after I die. Since then I have worked to build my character to be a person of strong character and moral integrity that will establish a strong legacy for myself in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment