Friday, December 3, 2010

When I first learned that we were going to an African Burial ground in New York I did in inward shutter. Hearing this I imagined us underground viewing remains, but my vision was nothing like the reality that awaited me. What I saw was a beautiful monument to our people, a people fighting to be free, a people truing their hardest to adjust and keep some semblance of the culture that raised and made them. The video tape showed us a traditional funeral. It showed us what they had to fight to get the site protected. I never expected to find a story where new yorkers of different classes and cultures came together to preserve this sight, I never expected that their was o much protesting by so many people to stop an injustice that was being committed. It was very inspiring seeing people from different grouped with nothing in common fighting together for the same cause. Another surprise that awaited me in New York was knowledge. Knowledge of my that we built this city. That their would be no Broadway and many other famous places in new York. Another part that I liked were the symbols of the monument all of them, like the heart, date back to ancient Egypt and are still used today. The story of the lock in key was a great way to discuss slavery with kids, to tell them about their history without bog them down with the details of what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment