Friday, December 3, 2010

Lost World

Before the trip to New York I was most excited about the chance to explore one of the greatest cities on earth not so much to visit a burial ground. Things changed after I saw the monument and then learned the history about the burial ground from the museum. This burial ground was the place that the slaves in the area were allowed to have something that was theirs. They built traditions here and preserved their heritage through the rituals performed at the burial ground. When outside and I heard the story about how the ground was discovered and then the struggle that was made to get the grounds declared a historical site and national monument. When walking through the monument and learning the story of the design and selection of the symbols surrounding the inner chamber I felt a feeling of connection to the history that took place beneath the ground that I was standing on. When looking down and seeing the inscriptions of the remains that were found I had a feeling that I cant explain. It was like being there in the past like I was a part of history. This had been a place that was forgotten for hundreds of years a part of my African ancestry that was lost in time. I am pleased that today our ancestors that were laid to rest here now have a place where they can be honored and people can come and learn about the history of this burial ground. The trip was a touching experience that allowed me a chance to visit a place that history was made and now is being preserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment