Sunday, December 5, 2010

Looking Back

What was most important to me about this class was identity. Learning about my heritage and embracing it as a subject to be proud of is something that I had needed. I liked the centrality of knowledge in the African experience most of all. As someone who had always been enthusiastic about learning as much as I could, the stigma of intelligence being a "White" trait was distressing. I could not betray my passion, even if it meant rejecting my blood as an aspect of my person. This class taught me that not only can I be a Black man and hold my love for knowledge, but that knowledge was born in the hands of my kin.

I've grown curious of African History because of the course. I want to know more about the culture that I was separated from. I think that my newfound interest and appreciation for my ancestry is the best thing that I've taken from this course. I look forward to the classes I'll take in the future to expand the foundations of my identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment